How to select excellent candidates through more controversial ways
Owing to the rapid development of sciences and technologies and fast circulation of information, more and more interviews have become “traceable” while various “interview question banks” have come out one after another. The following methods have nothing to do with self-learning of algorithm or physical quantity, but can help an excellent company to find real talents through “torment” with the help of some slight changes and tips during interview.
1. Phone interview. Call the candidates 15min in advance or postpone the call for 15min. Anyway, do not call on time.
Why? This can screen out candidates who “are prepared for work anytime” more effectively and find if a candidate can “get down to work anytime”.
2. Deliberately make mistakes during presentation. Announce a false equipment breakdown when a candidate is making presentation.
Why? If the candidate stays calm, he/she will be easy going and flexible at work. If he/she can conjure up a Plan B or Plan C, he/she is able to remain composed facing emergencies and pro-actively work out another strategy.
3. Repeatedly misunderstand candidates’ work experience. For example, if a candidate says that he/she once worked for Alibaba, the interviewer can ask “How long have you been with Tencent?” or any other similar question. Observe and record interviewees’ tone and attitude while correcting you.
Why? This can weed out candidates with a bad temper as well as check their listening skills.
4. Let applicants frequently shuttle among several meeting rooms in the pretext that the meeting room is unexpectedly occupied by another colleague and observe their reaction. Why? This can help to find out candidates who are uncomfortable with frequently altered arrangement, and let the interviewees know that not all meeting rooms can be occupied all day so as to test their flexibility.
5. Interrogation of interviewers with positive/negative attitudes. Find a long desk and arrange two interviewers to sit at the one side of it and a candidate in the middle. One of the interviewers plays the role with positive attitude while the other the role with negative attitude. Observe if the candidate can answer the interviewers’ questions honestly or tend to answer the questions from either one of the interviewers.
Why? This can demonstrate the candidates’ personal preference and reaction during times of tension.
6. Ask questions and then type loudly with the pretext of making a record. Observe candidates’ reaction.
Why? This can help to find if a candidate can still focus on answering questions while being continuously interrupted so as to screen out candidates un-inclined to be interrupted.
7. Repeat the same question.
Why? This can better confirm if the candidate’s answers are prepared beforehand or different expressions of truth.
8. Let him/her solve a particular problem you have at work
Why? First of all, you really need it and can acquire different free ideas. Secondly, this scenario cannot be easily “copied” or prepared in advance. Thus it is an easier way to pick out candidates with powerful capacity of actual operation.
While you consider doing this, please do remember that it has to be done professionally in order not to lose out on any excellent candidates. While you are interviewing candidates, they are equally interviewing you as their future line manager or HR manager.