Living in China – Fast Facts
- The currency in China is Renminbi, often abbreviated as RMB (¥). Credit cards are accepted at most hotels and tourist shops.
- Beijing is the capital city of China, with a population of approximately 20 million, while Shanghai, the centre of finance and trade in China, has approximately 23 million.
- As the world’s third largest country in total area, the climate of China is extremely diverse; subtropical in the south to subarctic in the north.
- The native language in China is Mandarin. A significant portion of the working population can also speak English.
- Normal working hours in China are from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Visa Requirements in China
As with travelling to any country, you will require a valid passport. When travelling to China you will also be required to show evidence of either an onward or return trip, or evidence detailing support for a longer stay. You can find out more about the visa requirements for China from your national Chinese embassy website.
If you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including mainland China.